Training Resources for Job Seekers
Are you looking for new skills? Do you need training? Find out about no-fee employment and training services available where you live.
What Types of Training Are Available?
The SC Works Centers offer three types of training to qualified customers:
- Basic Training – Obtain a GED or strengthen your basic math, English, or reading skills.
- Occupational/Vocational Training – Become trained in skills in that are needed for jobs in demand today.
- On-the-Job Training – Become trained by a local employer in skills needed for a particular job through on-the-job training programs or apprenticeship opportunities.
In addition to this, your local SC Works Center offers workshops on interview skills, applying for financial aid, job search techniques, and writing a résumé. Topics vary based on location.
What Kind of Training Do I Need?
Not sure what kind of training you need? Contact your nearest SC Works Center for a no-fee skills assessment.
In the meantime, explore which jobs have a promising future, which ones offer better pay, and which ones have the most openings.
Where Can I Get Training?
Find Eligible Training Providers in South Carolina.
The Eligible Training Provider List is the most comprehensive and only statewide source that lists qualified training providers, including locations, fees, programs, occupations, and apprenticeship programs. Your local SC Works Center can help you identify eligible schools for training.
Additional Training and Educational Opportunities
- Career Technical Education
- Adult Education
- South Carolina Technical College System
- Colleges and Universities in South Carolina
- Apprenticeship Programs
Are Scholarships or Funding Available to Help Pay for Training?
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) program – If you are out of work, need job training, or need to brush up on your skills, the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) program may help you. WIOA funds a variety of employment and training programs for youth and adults in various levels of services depending on needs and eligibility. Training Scholarships are offered to those that qualify. Services are offered in SC Works Centers throughout the State. Call your local SC Works Center to get started.
Trade Adjustment Assistance Act – Assists workers who have lost their job or have reduced hours due to increased imports.
Veterans Employment and Training Programs – Assists Veterans and those transitioning from military service into civilian work.
Other funding resources may be available through these partners:
- Adult Education
- Anderson Interfaith Ministries
- Goodwill Industries
- SC Vocational Rehabilitation
- Tri-County Technical College